Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled industrial Absinthe in the early nineteenth century in Pontarlier, France, employed a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs just like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and also nutmeg buy liquor online. Wine is the standard base for Absinthe but some distillers use other types of alcohol.
If you search for Absinthe recipes online, you will notice that most of them involve steeping blends of herbs in liquor like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How can you Make Absinthe from home?
Although some recipes online are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without having a license is illegal in many countries and also you have to have the right equipment and you need to find out what you are doing. So, are there more strategies to making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This usually involves steeping herbs such as wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for several days or perhaps a couple of weeks in the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Just distillation will give you a true Absinthe, this will just present you with an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Employing an Absinthe Kit – Most of the kits available on the internet, like the ones from Green Devil, are only steeping kits. They may be easier than obtaining and preparing your own personal herbs but you are just steeping the herbs in vodka again and making a flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much simpler and much better way to make Absinthe at home. AbsintheKit.com create essences for the Absinthe industry as well as the essences are made by distilling classic Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is done for you and all you need to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a true Absinthe drink.
The essences come in four various kinds:-
– Classic Green Essence to create a traditional “verte” Absinthe with a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to make a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This also includes a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to produce Absinthe which has a twist. This essence is likely to make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe having a natural orange flavor and a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence is likely to make an Absinthe having a higher thujone content (55mg) as well as a more bitter wormwood flavour.
You can obtain a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to make one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or buy a kit for $29 to create 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic gauge and 14 artistic bottle labels. All that you should supply is the neutral alcohol base. Just remember that the alcohol content of your Absinthe is determined by your alcohol base. Be careful, drink Absinthe moderately since it is a significantly tougher beverage than other spirits and also fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or perhaps a neutral alcohol which doesn’t have a powerful taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.