Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled industrial Absinthe in early 19th century in Pontarlier, France, utilized a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and also nutmeg. Wine is the standard base for Absinthe however some distillers use other kinds of alcohol.
If you try to find Absinthe recipes online, you will find that most of them involve steeping blends of herbs in liquor just like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How Do You Produce Absinthe from home?
Even though some recipes on the internet are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without a license is against the law in lots of countries and you simply have to have the right equipment and you need to find out what you’re doing. So, are there any other strategies to making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This typically involves steeping herbs such as wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a few days or perhaps a couple of weeks inside the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Only distillation can provide a real Absinthe, this will just provide you with an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe Kit – Many of the kits available on the internet, much like the ones from Green Devil, are just steeping kits. They’re easier than discovering and preparing your own herbs but you are simply steeping the herbs in vodka again and making a flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much easier and better method to make Absinthe from home. AbsintheKit.com produce essences for the Absinthe industry and the essences are made by distilling standard Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is done for you and all you should do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a real Absinthe drink.
The essences come in four different types:-
– Classic Green Essence to create a traditional “verte” Absinthe which has a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to produce a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This also carries a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to create Absinthe having a twist. This essence will make a yellow-orange colored Absinthe with a natural orange flavor and also a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence can make an Absinthe which has a higher thujone content (55mg) and also a more bitter wormwood flavor.
You can buy a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to make one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or purchase a kit for $29 to create 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit comes with a handy plastic measure and 14 artistic bottle labels. All that you should supply is the neutral alcohol base. Bare in mind that the alcohol content of your Absinthe depends on your alcohol base. Be cautious, drink Absinthe sparingly since it is a substantially tougher beverage than other spirits and fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or perhaps a neutral alcohol which does not have a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.